Your eye doctor just told you you have macular degeneration. Now what? We recommend you ask the following basic questions when you are initially diagnosed starting with:
Do I have DRY AMD or WET AMD? In what eye(s)?
QUESTIONS FOR PATIENTS WITH DRY AMD
- What stage is my dry AMD? Early, intermediate, or advanced? What does that mean?
- Will AREDS2 vitamins like Preservision® or Occuvite® benefit me?
- What activities of daily life will be limited to me now?
QUESTIONS FOR PATIENTS WITH WET AMD
- What anti-VEGF injections do you recommend to treat my WET AMD? How did you (your retina doctor) decide what drug is best for me? Why?
- Avastin® (least expensive, used routinely by retina specialists all over the world but not FDA-approved)
- Lucentis® (most expensive and widely used by retina specialists all over the world)
- Eylea® (newest on the market in the US. Some patients are experiencing great success over Lucentis®.)
- Do you have more information for me to review? Why do you recommend this for my situation? What is the benefit to me? What are the risks?
- How long after my first injection before we will be able to tell if there has been any improvement in stopping the leakage or any improvement in my visual acuity?